Regenerative Agriculture Specialist
Ecosia, the search engine that plants trees, is one of the leading social businesses in Germany. Our vision is to cultivate a more environmentally, socially and economically sustainable world. To achieve that, we want to plant 1 billion trees by 2020 with the help of our fast-growing user-base. So far our 7 million users have already planted 20 million trees. To plant these trees, we work with local groups all over the world, that have a strong understanding of the local context, and are able to plant or otherwise grow back millions of trees in their region.
As Ecosia’s Regenerative Agriculture Specialist you will work intensively with a number of Ecosia’s reforestation projects. You are responsible for working together with the local partners to improve the sustainable use of the landscapes in which the projects take place. This includes a strong focus on improving agricultural practices by offering hands-on solutions to combat soil erosion and increase soil fertility, while also facilitating the selection of the best crops according to soil capacity and market demands. You will spend about half of your time at project sites on the ground in Latin-America, Africa or Asia, helping to design and build demonstration plots, sharing previous lessons learned and absorbing new ones. When at home in Berlin, you will help Ecosia to further grow and strengthen its portfolio of global restoration projects by reviewing new proposals and strengthening our overall approach to landscape restoration.
- You bring at least 5 years of on the ground experience working on forests, agriculture and other livelihood topics (such as fuelwood, energy, education) with smallholders in the tropical zones.
- You are a number cruncher and use your deep understanding and experience of value chains of tree- and agricultural products, to analyse and develop sustainable, local productive arrangements.
- You are happy to travel and stay at project sites for 3-4 weeks, about 4 to 6 times a year.
- You are comfortable and experienced in working in a multicultural setting, you know how to work with smallholder farmers and are able to mobilise and sensibilise them.
- You are fluent in English and profound in Spanish or French.
- Bonus: You bring experience on using modern techniques to monitor success of the programmes.
- Chance to be part of the challenge of the century: changing degraded lands into productive and sustainable landscapes.
- Opportunity to work closely with highly motivated partners on making big changes in degraded landscapes.
- Be a member of a highly skilled, cross-functional team that’s eager to collaborate
- Fair compensation package to reflect your skills and experience
- Fantastic office in the heart of Berlin
- Flexible working hours and location
- Weekly team breakfasts
- Oh, and coffee, and organic snacks and fruit, we have plenty of both
This should go without saying, but because it’s very important to us, we would like to emphasize it again: all applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical disability or length of time spent unemployed.